We can’t deny the benefits that come with a pocket knife, specifically for outdoor activities like hiking or camping. The handy knife also helps you in the kitchen to chop things, cut cords or repair stuff while on the road, or defend yourself when need be. While there are all kinds of pocket knives in the market, not every knife will suit your need at hand. It is, therefore, beneficial to pay attention to the features and specifications before buying.
Choosing the Ideal Pocket Knife
The following aspects play a vital role when searching for the best pocket knife:
- Portability: A good pocket knife is light and compact which is easily fit in your pocket, purse without causing any inconvenience;
- Knife’s Edge: Pocket knives come with a plain, semi-serrated or full serrated edge. A plain edge will produce fine cuts but isn’t ideal for sawing whereas a serrated knife can saw twigs or branches but isn’t suitable for fine cutting;
- Blade Size: The length of blade ranges from 2.75 up to 7.5 inches. Small knives (below 2.75 inches) are handy but not very strong or versatile while large knives (4-7 inches) are strong and versatile but a bit bulky. Medium knives (2.75-4 inches) fall in-between;
- Blade Type: Pocket knives vary in regard to the shape of the blade. Common types include a clip, spear, tanto, straight back, hawkbill, trailing, needlepoint and sheepsfoot among others.
- Handle: The handles on pocket knives are made from different materials and each will feature unique characteristics and advantages. Common material includes wood, stainless steel, bone, celluloid, fiberglass (G-10), titanium, mircata, rubber, kraton…;
- Brand: The knife’s worth is normally depicted by the manufacturer with top types coming from reputable brands. Known brands include Benchmade, Kershaw, TAC Force, M-Tech, Cold Steel, Case, CRKT, Victorinox, Schrade, Gerber, Buck, SOG, Boker, and Spyderco; and
- Design: While you desire a knife for hunting or camping, another will mainly use it in the kitchen or fishing. A knife for hunting big game will be much bigger than that used for hunting small game. There are some knives that look more masculine than feminine.
Best Pocket Knives in 2018
- 10. Benchmade, Mini Griptilian 555HG Pocket Knife
- 9. MTech USA, Ballistic MT-A705 Series Spring Assist Folding Knife
- 8. Kershaw, 1990 Brawler Speedsafe Folding Knife
- 7. Kershaw, Leek Knife
- 6. Kershaw, Ken Onion Blur Folding Knife
- 5. TAC Force, TF-705 Series Assisted Opening Tactical Folding Knife
- 4. Ontario Knife, RAT Folding Knife
- 3. Spyderco, ParaMilitary2 Camo G-10 Black Blade PlainEdge Knife
- 2. Kershaw, Ken Onion Blur Folding Knife
- 1. Zero Tolerance, G10 Handle Folding Tiger
10. Benchmade, Mini Griptilian 555HG Pocket Knife
Mini Griptilian pocket knife from Benchmade features a plain sheepsfoot blade design that is constructed from 154CM (588-61HRC) premium stainless steel. The coated finish blade measures 7.39 cm/ 2.91 inches long and is linked to a Noryl GTX sand handle.
The weight of the knife is 75 grams/ 2.91 inches making it among the lightest in the list. Other worthy features an ambidextrous design, two omega-style springs, stainless steel liners, and coated reversible clip.
9. MTech USA, Ballistic MT-A705 Series Spring Assist Folding Knife
This assisted pocket knife by MTech USA is not only strong and elegant but also very versatile. It comes with a strong 3mm thick stainless blade and an aluminum handle that is coated with titanium.
When closed, the knife measures 4.5 inches with the blade measuring 3.75 inches and also includes a pocket clip for easy carrying. The pocket knife looks quite stylish courtesy of the silver and purple titanium coating. The knife comes with a silver stainless steel pocket clip for easy and safe carry.
8. Kershaw, 1990 Brawler Speedsafe Folding Knife
Made from sturdy and durable 8Cr13MoV steel, the 1990 Brawler Speed safe pocket knife by Kershaw is a popular option for hunters, campers, hikers and the ordinary Joe. The knife has an overall length of 7.1 inches/18 cm with the blade measuring 3 inches/7.6 cm.
The knife features a “flipper” which the user can pull back on or flip to move the blade out of the handle easily. The glass-filled nylon handle makes the knife handle sturdier and the pocket clip can be positioned in 4 positions: tip-up/tip-down; right/left handed. The SpeedSafe feature of this knife helps for easy and fast for one-hand opening.
7. Kershaw, Leek Knife
Kershaw Leek Knife is made from stainless steel that comes with an overall length of 17.9 inches/ 7 inches when open and 3 inches of the blade length. It is made from 410 stainless steel and is bead blasted to give the knife the fine finish.
Carrying the knife is less-cumbersome courtesy of its light weight of 85 grams that conveniently disappears inside the pocket. Similar to